Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Tuesday 25 September 2007

Photos to show

Wow, it's been a really busy time for me this past week, having both Rob's mum and my sister Honey visiting us at the same time. MIL returned to Perth on Saturday evening, and Honey's meeting with her friend this afternoon, so I finally have some time to sort my photos. Honey and I spent a lot of time shopping, and can that girl shop! It has been a few years since I'd gone shopping with her, and it was good to have a shopping buddy, someone who gave good feedback other than "I don't know, that one maybe?" whilst shrugging and pointing quite randomly. I think my mum and older sister were hoping that I would be a good influence on my sister with her spending habit, but I think Honey had more influence on my spending habit. I'd actually forgotten that shopping can be fun when you have a good shopping buddy. But, with all that said, I still can't say I enjoy shopping... I only bought what I needed, compared to Honey who had a few impulse buys.

Other than shopping together, we took photos with an NYPD police officer armed with a huge gun, visited the famous Empire State building, briefly checked out Macy's ('world's largest store') in the Garment District (mainly to use the toilet), experienced the really crowded street fair in Little Italy (Feast of San Gennaro), checked out the usual really crowded street of Chinatown on a weekend, and walked through Central Park. And of course having good eats. That's basically the super-summarised gist of our last week. Here are some piccies to look at while I am busy with hunting for a place to stay in Japan - we leave NYC next Tuesday! :(

Check out the huge gun! The cop looks mean in the photo, but he was really nice and friendly. Taken near our apartment on Wall Street opposite the Federal Hall and next to the NY Stock Exchange:


Can you see the shadow of the Empire State Building?




At the Feast of San Gennaro in Little Italy:


The beautiful Minton Tile Ceiling at Bethesda Terrace Arcade in Central Park

3 comments:

  1. Wow, he's got a M16 from the looks of it. That means one thing to me: he means business if that place ever gets robbed.
    Such nice photos... And there's Rob... and you.... and... and... *sniffles* I miss Honey...
    Apparently you two went shopping for motorbike gear and got her a really good deal... *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey's pretty excited about her new bike jacket. Looks like she got it much cheaper than she would in Australia. The motorbike shop was in a pretty ghetto area - we were the only Asians on the streets. Heck, I didn't even see any white people around, except in the motorbike shop. Felt much more comfortable once we were back in downtown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha... that's hilarious. Yeah, I saw the jacket she bought and while not quite what I had in mind, it's pretty close to what I would have bought if I didn't find my leather jacket. And it was _a lot_ cheaper than if she had bought it here (at most half the price).

    ReplyDelete