Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Wednesday 10 March 2010

3rd revisit: Korean @ Kanton, Tokyo Korea-town

This Korean restaurant needs no introduction on this blog, as I've written about it three times before. I am no authority on the Korean cuisine, but I do know what tastes good, and Kanton no Omoide in Tokyo's Korea-town serves up pretty good food. My friend Anne from Perth was visiting Tokyo, and having already taken her and her group to our favourite sushi restaurant in Tsukiji (didn't blog about it as I've done it so many times before), I suggested going to K-town for some authentic Korean eats on our second meet-up. At first Anne baulked at the idea of Korean because Korean food to Anne is the barbecue-style food, and she hates how her clothes carries the aroma of barbecued food afterwards, but she agreed to give it a try when I said that my favourite Korean dishes are non-barbecue ones.

As always, the banchan (complimentary side dishes) were placed on the table shortly after we sat down. Anne trusted me to choose the dishes, and it didn't take me long to decide what to order (this usually happens when you've been to a place many times before and know what is good from experience). I forgot how big the serving sizes are, and over-ordered for the two of us. The Chapchae (stir fried sweet potato noodles) was good as usual, and this was Anne's favourite dish of the meal.

The cold banchan included mushrooms, tofu, spicy daikon and beansprouts namul; and the tasty Chapchae:


The Kaki Chijimi (Oyster "Pancake") was delicious with large plump juicy oysters, but we needed more people at the table to share the portion as it got too rich by the third oyster. I also ordered Possam (steamed pork with leafy vegetables) which was also too much for the two of us and I had to ask to take leftovers home. Anne didn't appreciate the slightly sweet flavour in the spicy vegetable relish that came with the Possam, and I guess she is not a big fan of sweet flavours in non-dessert dishes, nor using her hands to eat! She said the dish was okay, but that she liked the other dishes better.

Huge plump Oyster Chijimi; and Possam:


We were absolutely stuffed when we left Kanton, but we did stop by the hoddeok vendor to get some Honey-flavoured Hoddeok to bring home for my sister (who was babysitting Zak) and my hubby (who had to work that Sunday morning).

The young vendor dude working his magic on these popular pancakes:

No comments:

Post a Comment