Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Revisits: Mexican @ Café Iguana (Elements), Hong Kong

Apologies for the lack of updates on my blog. My 2.5-year-old boy came down with a viral infection and was out for most of last week (he usually recovers within a day or two). The multiple night wakings, too-early morning wake-ups and general sleep deprivation was starting to take a toll on my health too. Thankfully Zak doesn't get sick very often - in fact I can't remember the last time he was this sick. He is better now, and sleeping better too, so I have a bit more time to spend on the blog.

My blog has been dominated with our Italy trip in the past few weeks, but we have been eating out every weekend - mostly re-visits to favourite places so I don't have to devote too much time to writing up about them when I still have a backlog of photos from our trip to edit. We recently went to Café Iguana at Elements mall downstairs with a Japanese family who also lives in the same apartment complex as us. I have written about this Mexican-style restaurant bar two times before, and it has become one of our favourite haunts in Hong Kong. All previous three experiences at Café Iguana were for dinner, and this was our first time perusing their Sunday Brunch menu. For HK$98, we had a choice of starter and main course from a list of options, and could add the optional HK$20 extra to enjoy the 'chef's dessert of the day' too. Usually Rob and I would grab different dishes and share our food for variety's sake, but that day we both wanted the same things for each course, and neither was willing to go for another option, so we got the same dishes. I honestly can't remember the last time we did that. Food was delicious, as always.

Starter: Tomato and Crabmeat Tartare with mackerel, mesclun greens and fennel seed dressing:

Main: Egg Royale - two poached eggs on toasted English muffin with spinach, cilantro and tequila-cured salmon and hollandaise sauce. I had a hankering for an Eggs Benedict, and this one really hit the spot, although the hollandaise sauce was not prepared properly:

A serve of Chicken Quesadilla ensured that the 2.5-year-old didn't go hungry:

Chef's dessert of the day was Baked Cheesecake. It was light and airy for a cheesecake, and not too sweet:

The Semolina Caramel Pudding is our favourite dessert at Café Iguana, and we ordered one to share with our friends:

I just recalled that we also went to Cafe Iguana in January for dinner with another friend from Perth, and I took photos but never had time to blog about it. I was pretty pleased when my friend said that it was the nicest meal she ate during her trip to HK. Here are photos of what we ate that night:

I think this one was the Tapas plate which included quesadilla, ceviche, spicy fried chicken wings (partly hidden by the bowl of ceviche), chorizo and grilled meat on skewers:

Caesar Salad with spiced grilled chicken, visually appealing in a large taco shell:

My friend ordered Burrito (with roasted pork, roasted Anaheim peppers and Asadero cheese) for her daughter, and it came in a green wrap:

My friend also ordered Carne con Chile (slow-cooked beef stew in sun-dried Anaheim peppers sauce) which she said was yummy, one that she must try making at home:

Rob ordered Bisteces Rancheros (10oz New York strip loin, Cajun-rubbed and grilled with asparagus, roasted potatoes and fried onions), which he said was quite ordinary. It was also the most expensive item on the menu:

I got the Alambre al Pastor (grilled skewers of pork and vegetables) because I'd remebered how delicious it was on our first visit. This is how it looks like shortly after being 'de-skewered':

We tried their Churros with chocolate mousse for dessert, which was the only dessert on the menu we'd yet to try. It was quite nice actually, as far as deep-fried pastries go:

I think we've probably already eaten everything of interest on the menu, but we're going to keep coming back to Café Iguana. The place is popular as ever during the day time as it is at night, so it's probably wise to make bookings ahead of time especially on the weekend.

Café Iguana
Shop R004
Civic Square, Elements Mall
1 Austin Road West
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel. +85 2 2196 8733

I am still not done with blogging about our Italy trip - Venice is still yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment